Live Chat Support Software
en espaņol  |home  |investors |fair housing |contact us |help
Welcome to the North Carolina Housing Finance AgencyHome Buyers, Homeowners, and Renters
Home Buyers, Homeowners, Renters & Special Needs Rental Developers, Owners / Managers Lenders, Builders & Real Estate Agents Local Governments & Nonprofits Forms & Resources About Us

Homebuyers sectionHome Buyers

Homeowners sectionHomeowners

- Existing customers

- eStatus

- What if I sell my house?

- Foreclosure help

- Home repair and rehabilitation

- Reverse mortgages

Renters sectionRenters

Special Needs sectionSpecial Needs

Back to top navigation


Downloadable Brochures

Avoid Predatory Lending

en espaņol

Resources for Home Repair and Rehabilitation

We help low-income homeowners who need urgent repairs, accessibility modifications, comprehensive rehabilitation or energy-related home improvements by providing funds to local governments and nonprofit organizations which provide these services. We do not provide funding directly to individuals.

If you need help financing necessary home repairs, check the links at the end of each program description below for a local group servicing your area.

Single-Family Rehabilitation Program
Urgent Repair Program
Displacement Prevention Partnership
Duke Home Energy Loan Pool

Single-Family Rehabilitation Program

If your home needs major repairs and your income is below 80% of the area median income, you may be able to get help from a local organization through our Single-Family Rehabilitation (SFR) Program. We make funds available to local government and nonprofit agencies to facilitate the comprehensive rehabilitation of single-family homes owned and occupied by low-income elderly or disabled people in their area.

If you qualify, you could receive funds in the form of an interest-free, deferred-forgiven loan, forgiven at $3,000 per year, to pay for the necessary rehabilitation of your home. The local organization providing the loan would contract and supervise the work for you.

See a list of organizations and agencies that have participated in the SFR Program.

back to top

Urgent Repair Program

If you need emergency repairs and you are elderly or have special needs and your income is below 50% of the area median income, you may be able to get help through the Urgent Repair Program (URP). Local government and nonprofit agencies use URP funds to correct housing conditions that threaten your life or safety, such as failing septic systems, dangerous heating systems, or rotten floors. The program can also pay for ramps and other accessibility modifications that enable you to continue living in your home after an injury or illness, such as a stroke.

As a homeowner, you may qualify for a grant through the URP program if you are elderly, handicapped or disabled, a single parent, have a household of five or more, or have children in your household with elevated blood lead levels.

See a list of organizations and agencies that have participated in the URP Program.

back to top

Displacement Prevention Partnership

If your home needs accessibility modifications to enable you to continue living in it after an injury or illness (stroke, spinal cord injury, etc.) or if you have a disability and are not served by an organization with Urgent Repair Program funding, you may be eligible for assistance under the Displacement Prevention Partnership program (DPP). The North Carolina Housing Finance Agency provides funding for this purpose through regional offices of the Independent Living program. Independent Living is a unit of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation of the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services.

The DPP also may help low-income homeowners with lead-poisoned children below the age of 6. Contact your local public health department if you think your child has been affected by lead-based paint. Eligible cases are automatically referred by health officials to the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources, which then contacts the N.C. Housing Finance Agency to assist in removing the lead hazard.

back to top

Duke Home Energy Loan Pool

Duke Energy customers in certain areas may receive assistance from near-by housing rehabilitation service providers under the Duke Home Energy Loan Pool (HELP).  These local and regional organizations, known as “Members” of the Loan Pool, will use HELP funds, along with funds from other rehabilitation programs such as CDBG, HOME and SFR, to comprehensively rehabilitate each qualifying home and make it much more energy-efficient.

HELP assistance is offered in the form of a loan secured by a lien on your home. HELP loans are interest-free and forgiven at $1,000 per year.  This means that the balance due shall be automatically reduced by one thousand ($1,000.00) on each anniversary date of the Note such that on the Maturity Date the outstanding principal balance due will be zero ($0.00).

The HELP loan will be paired with another deferred and/or forgiven loan (typically $10,000 to $30,000) to ensure that the whole house is brought up to program standards.  HELP-funded home improvements make a home more affordable by saving money through lower power bills. In addition to saving money, HELP-funded home improvements make homes more healthy and comfortable to live in. 

To receive assistance through HELP homeowners must have an annual household income not exceeding 80% of the area median income, be a Duke Energy customer, and be selected for assistance by a Member organization. To find out if there is a HELP Member serving your area, check the list of current HELP Members.

To learn more about the Duke Home Energy Loan Pool contact Amy Batel at 919-877-5661 or .

For information about organizations that provide housing services in your area, go to our Housing Resource Guide.

back to top

       For Your Home:


For a 30-year fixed-rate (minimum 60-day lock-in). Need down payment help? N.C. Home Advantage Mortgage™ offers up to 5% at zero interest. Check rates.


       What's New @ NCHFA

Housing NC Award Entries Due July 8
Don't miss the chance to showcase your work - Housing North Carolina Award entries are due July 8
Learn More...

2015 Affordable Housing Conference

Our Homes for Sale

Our Current Interest Rates

Email this page E-Mail this page

Bookmark this page Bookmark this page

Subscribe to this page Subscribe to this page

Manage subscriptions

North Carolina Housing Finance Agency   |   3508 Bush Street   |   Raleigh, NC 27609   |   919-877-5700  |   terms of use/privacy