If you or someone you know is in the path of Hurricane Dorian or has been impacted by past storms, the following resources may help.
Before and During the Storm
- ReadyNC: Learn more about how to prepare and protect yourself, your family and your property at ReadyNC.
- NCDPS: Learn about available shelters, road conditions, evacuation routes and disaster assistance and how to contact your county's emergency management agency at the NC Department of Public Safety.
- NC Housing Finance Agency: Get valuable information on preparing for the storm at Tips for Preparing Your Home for a Hurricane, How to Prepare Your Home for a Hurricane and How to Build a Home Disaster Emergency Kit.
After the Storm
- NCDHHS: If you are seeking Medicaid, food and nutrition or behavioral health assistance or are a health care professional who can volunteer, contact the NC Department of Health and Human Services to learn more.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency: Stay abreast of available resources and information on the federal response at FEMA. As assistance becomes available, learn how you can apply and what to expect after you apply and where to locate Disaster Recovery Centers near you.
- Housing Locators: NCHousingSearch.org helps people locate available, affordable rental housing. This free service can be accessed online 24 hours a day and through a toll-free, bilingual call center, Monday - Friday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m., at 1-877-428-8844.
- Housing Stability: Back@Home helps families who are still in Hurricane Florence disaster shelters or staying in unsafe or unstable housing to quickly transition to safe and sustainable longer-term housing. Services include housing navigation, rental assistance and case management. Call 2-1-1 to see if you are eligible and learn next steps.
- Disaster Unemployment Insurance: If you live in a federally declared disaster area and your employment or income has been lost or interrupted as a direct result of the disaster, you may be eligible for federal Disaster Unemployment System from the NC Division of Employment Services.
- Non-housing Services and Referrals: United Way 2-1-1 provides referrals to health and human services assistance statewide. Visit the website or call 2-1-1.
- Lost Document Replacement: North Carolina's Department of Public Safety has provided a list of resources for people who may have lost important documents in the floods.
Please check this page often—we will add more resources as they become available.