The North Carolina Housing Finance Agency offers several different loan products that allow for different subordination terms. Please review the list below to determine which subordination terms are applicable to your loan and then scroll down for information on the subordination process and requirements.
NC Home Advantage MortgageTM
- The 3%, 5% and $8,000 down payment assistance loans cannot be subordinated until seven years from the date of closing. If it has been seven years since the closing date, you may request a subordination subject to the process and requirements detailed below.
- The $15,000 down payment assistance offered by the Hardest Hit Fund Program (which was only available in Cumberland, Cabarrus, Johnston, Mecklenburg and Wake Counties) cannot be subordinated.
- Other down payment assistance options offered with the NC Home Advantage MortgageTM loans, such as Community Partners Loan Pool, may be subordinated at any time, subject to the process and requirements detailed below.
- The statewide down payment assistance cannot be subordinated until seven years from the date of closing. If it has been seven years since the closing date, you may request a subordination subject to the process and requirements detailed below.
- Other down payment assistance options, such as Community Partners Loan Pool, offered with FirstHome loans may be subordinated at any time, subject to the process and requirements detailed below.
NC Foreclosure Prevention Fund
- All NC Foreclosure Prevention Fund loans may be subordinated at any time, subject to the process and requirements detailed below. These loans include the Mortgage Payment Program, Second Mortgage Refinance Program, Principal Reduction Recast/Lien Extinguishment Program and Modification Enabling Program.
Other Agency Loan Products
- Other loan products offered by the NC Housing Finance Agency, such as the Urgent Repair Program and the Community Partners Loan Pool may be subordinated at any time, subject to the process and requirements detailed below.
Subordination Process and Requirements
Please review the list above to determine whether your loan is eligible for a subordination. The completed subordination request packet must be submitted by the refinancing lender.
Thank you for your request for a subordination. Please provide North Carolina Housing Finance Agency (NCHFA) with the following information:
- A completed “Request for Subordination” form signed by all borrowers on the NCHFA loan
- Borrower’s Loan Application - Form 1003
- Completed W-9 for each borrower on the NCHFA loan
- FedEx or UPS Mailing Label for return documents
- Title Commitment or Title Search
- Verification of Non-Occupancy form if active military (copy of military orders)
- If the borrower is refinancing as a result of a divorce or death of spouse. NCFHA will need a
divorce decree or a death certificate.
Cash out funds are not allowed for any NCHFA subordinations (this includes debt consolidation and repairs/updates). Closing costs can be rolled into the new loan (refinance). To avoid delays in processing your subordination request, please verify that the new loan amount on NCHFA’s “Request for Subordination” form equals the loan amount on Form 1003 prior to submitting your subordination package.
Prior to submitting your completed subordination package please ensure all sections are completed in their entirety. The majority of delays are caused by an incomplete forms and missing documents.
A complete subordination package can be submitted to NCHFA via one of the following options:
- Secured e-mail only to email@example.com.
- Fax to the attention of Loan Servicing (919-877-5703).
- Mail to North Carolina Housing Finance Agency, Attention: Subordinations, 3508 Bush Street, Raleigh NC 27609
NCHFA Response Time
The review process to determine approval or denial of your request can take up to ten business day. If your subordination is approved, your package will be submitted to our legal department to complete the title and the Subordination Agreement. This process can take up to seven business days. Additional questions about your subordination request can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.