Need Assistance Paying Rent?

The Agency is aware of a scam that is encouraging North Carolinians to apply for Section 8 Vouchers through the NC Housing Finance Agency. Unfortunately, the Agency does not distribute Housing Choice Vouchers. 

If you need rental assistance due to your income, you can apply for a Housing Choice voucher at your local Public Housing Authority. If you already have a voucher, you also can find available apartments in your area through your local housing authority or call 800-955-2232

If you or a loved one have a behavioral health disability and are trying to transition out of a restrictive setting, such as an adult care home, to live more independently, you may be eligible for assistance under the Transitions to Community Living Initiative. This program is operated by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services and offers the Transitions to Community Living Voucher for housing assistance in partnership with the state’s network of mental health management organizations. To learn if you might be eligible, contact a Local Management Entity/Managed Care Organization near you.