Housing Credit Application Process
Deadlines for the Housing Credit application process are spaced throughout the year. It is of paramount importance that applicants meet these deadlines. In addition to application deadlines, you will find the projected dates for various notifications below.
Application and Award Schedule
The following schedule will apply to the 2022 application process for 9% Tax Credits and the first round of tax exempt bond volume and 4% Tax Credits.
- January 21 Deadline for submission of preliminary applications (12:00 noon)
- March 14 Market analysts will submit studies to the Agency and Applicants
- March 25 Notification of final site scores
- April 4 Deadline for market-related project revisions (5:00 p.m.)
- April 11 Deadline for the Agency and Applicant to receive the revised market study, if applicable
- May 13 Deadline for full applications (12:00 noon)
- August Notification of tax credit awards
Tax-Exempt Bond Process
In addition to the timeframe above, the North Carolina Housing Finance Agency will accept applications for tax-exempt bond volume with 4% tax credits any time between May 2 and September 30 (5 p.m.). Both new construction and rehabilitation projects will be eligible. Proposals for 9% tax credits will not be accepted at that time. When a preliminary application is submitted in this timeframe, a schedule of milestones will be provided to the applicant. The preliminary application submission date will determine when those milestones occur and will follow a timeframe similar to the schedule above. The Agency will work with the applicant to determine if the project will receive 2022 or 2023 volume cap. Full applications can be submitted no later than January 13, 2023.
Applications are submitted through our online housing tax credit application. The online application provides interactive checks that help ensure you meet all submission requirements. If you have an email address and password from a previous application cycle, you can use that to access the system and create new applications. Otherwise, you will need to register as a new user before creating applications.