Essential Single-Family Rehabilitation Loan Pool

If you represent a local government or other non-profit housing repair organization seeking sources of funding housing repairs in North Carolina, this page is for you. 

Essential Single-Family Rehabilitation Loan Pool (ESFRLP) funds are available to qualified organizations during each funding cycle to finance moderate home rehabilitations for low- and moderate-income homeowners who are elderly or have other special needs. The Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) is announced in the last quarter of each calendar year. The Agency serves 33–34 counties annually on a three-year rotating basis, pending the availability of HOME program funds. 

If you are a nonprofit organization, local government or a regional council of government, you may be eligible to apply for the ESFRLP during our next funding cycle. The Agency will post a NOFA on this website to announce new funding cycles. Successful applicants are currently awarded a set-aside of $162,000 for home rehabilitation costs, with the potential of receiving additional funds on a first-come, first-to-qualify, first-served basis. 

You can find the basic required and model documents for current and past cycles on the ESFRLP Forms and Resources section of this website. 

If you are a homeowner seeking assistance with repairs to your home: 

1. You can navigate to our organizational lookup tool here: ESFR Organizations by County
2. You can send an email to [email protected]. Please state the county you live in. 

Single-Family Rehab Programs Listing

Is My Project Eligible?

To be qualified to receive ESFRLP funds, your organization and project must meet the following criteria:

  • Units must be owner-occupied.
  • Units must be occupied by elderly, disabled and/or veteran household members, or must have lead hazards and be occupied by a child six years of age or younger.
  • Household income must be below 80% of the area median income.
  • Households may not reside within the large CDBG Entitlement cities of Charlotte, Durham, Greensboro, Raleigh and Winston-Salem. Only applications proposing to serve an entire county, excluding the five cities listed above, will be considered for funding.
  • Your organization must have the technical capacity to manage residential construction projects.


For more information, contact Mike Handley, 919-877-5627, Sarah Zinn 919-578-3580, or Donna Coleman, 919-981-5006.